This post has been Last Updated 2 months ago by Kunal
If you have tried any launcher apps for Android and want to uninstall one, here is a detailed guide on uninstalling Android launchers.
You can follow the exact methods on any Android device to uninstall any Android launcher.
Many of you might have one question: What will happen after uninstalling the launcher app?
How to Immediately Uninstall Any Android Launcher App
Step 1: Open the ‘Apps’ from the Settings
Firstly, open the mobile or device settings then find the apps or all apps in the list of options and tap on it
Step 2: Choose the Default Apps or Select any Launcher
Here you have to select ‘Choose default apps’ or Find and select any launcher application available on your phone.
Step 3: Change the default launcher app
Now you have to switch from the launcher you want to uninstall to the launcher you want to keep & use. Suppose, In my case, I’m going to uninstall the minimalist launcher so, I will switch from it to the OneUI Home launcher app.
Step 4: Now Uninstall the Launcher
After switching the launchers, you can now uninstall the launcher app, as shown in the two screenshots below. In the first case, the launcher I wanted to uninstall was not uninstalling because I had it set as the default, so when I switched to the OneUI launcher, the uninstall button started working again.
By the way, I am not removing this app, It’s the best app for me, It helps me in digital detoxification. Check out their twitter: https://twitter.com/minimalistphone.
How To Uninstall Android Launcher That Won’t Uninstall
- Disable the Launcher: If you cannot uninstall the Launcher, you can try disabling it. Disabling a launcher will prevent it from running and appearing on your home screen. To disable the launcher, go to Settings > Apps > All Apps (or Installed Apps) > Launcher > Disable.
- Clear Defaults: Sometimes, a launcher is set as the default launcher for your device. Clearing this default might make it easier to uninstall. Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps (or Installed Apps) > Launcher > Open by Default > Clear Defaults. After that, try to uninstall the launcher.
- Safe Mode: Booting your device into Safe Mode can sometimes make it easier to uninstall problematic apps. To enter Safe Mode, press and hold the power button until the power options appear. Then, long-press the “Power Off” option until you see a prompt to boot into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, try uninstalling the Launcher.
- Third-Party Uninstaller Apps: You can try using third-party uninstaller apps from the Google Play Store. These apps might have more advanced options for uninstalling apps that are difficult to remove through the standard method.
- Factory Reset: As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on your device. This will erase all data on your device, so back up important information before proceeding. Go to Settings > System > Reset > Factory data reset to perform a factory reset. Remember that this step is drastic and should only be done if other methods fail.
Uninstall Android Launcher | Remove Launcher from Android
So let me summarise everything that I talked about in this article.
- Open mobile settings and tap on apps.
- Tap on the installed launcher app.
- In this menu, click on uninstall and then press ok.
- Now you have successfully uninstalled the additional installed Android launcher.
Keep this In Mind While Removing The Android Launcher
If you’re using an additional Android launcher and planning to remove it, there are a few things you need to know.
Firstly, removing the app would limit the customization, and you won’t be able to use custom animation, slider, app icon, and many other things.
Secondly, suppose you use a premium Android Launcher. In that case, you will regret your decision because the system launcher, which the smartphone brand mainly creates, is not that great because they specialize in making a device, not a launcher.
My Experience Of Uninstall A Launcher App After 5 Years Of Use
I’ve been using the Nova launcher app since 2017, and till now, I have had no issues with it. It is a friendly app to try.
However, some limitations happen when you start using the app. But then I uninstalled it, and a few things happened. They were listing all of them below.
- No more extra features.
- No more icon packs.
- There are struggles with setting it up.
A: Shield Launcher may not be uninstalled if it is set as the default launcher, has system app status, or has device administrator privileges. Try changing the default launcher, disabling it if possible, and revoking administrator privileges. If the issue persists, consider checking for malware, ensuring proper permissions, or contacting your device’s manufacturer for assistance.
A: To get rid of Shield Launcher, go to your device’s settings, navigate to Apps or Application Manager, find Shield Launcher in the list of installed apps, and either uninstall it if the option is available or disable it if uninstalling isn’t possible. If Shield Launcher is a system app, you might not be able to uninstall it without rooting your device, so disabling it might be your best option.
Today, I showed how to delete a launcher from any Android device. I hope it will be easy for you to repeat the same process.
That’s all from my side. We are back from FixItKunal.com, where you will get the Fixing tutorials from my heart.
Moreover, if you like this tutorial, don’t forget to share it on social media handles. Today, I showed you how to uninstall the Android launcher.